tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 01 08:14:03 1993

Re: fonts

On Jun 30, 10:51pm, Emperor Krenath wrote:
> Subject: Re: fonts
> If someone could clue me in as to a program which would allow me to re-
> define the character set IBMs use under DOS (I know some VGA and EGA cards
> come with software to convert the system's font over to something a little
> easier on the eyes) I would be most appreciative.

     I think Bitstream has something called "TrueType for DOS", but I don't
know how it works. I do know that most DOS apps use character mode screens
and while EGA and VGA have the option of using other character sets, this
feature is limited and rarely exploited. If your hardware can handle it, the
best option really is to upgrade to Windows. With TrueType fonts built in,
your screen and printer will both get pretty, scalable fonts, and Dr.
Schoen's fonts are available in either TrueType or PostScript.

     For these kinds of fonts, even the lowly Write that comes bundled with
Windows beats WordPerfect for DOS, or any other DOS word processor. It's
really worth the change.

--   charghwI'

Back to archive top level