tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 09 18:29:49 1993

MatthewW's mail, and some irelevancies

batlh choja', Matthew Whiteacre quv:

=First, I have been suprised by the lack of christians who have expressed
=interest in the KBTP.  I am a christian (never would have guessed based on
=my sig.) and am looking forward to a chance at learning the scriptures
=better.  I do not expect to "convert" anyone by the work and that is not
=why I am participating.  I want a project to improve my skills in tlhIngan
=Hol.  I hope more people will get involved and am looking forward the the
=release of the AKV of the bible.

I must say, the absence of Christians during the recent KBTP wars, if anything,
amused me: How was Klingon List turning into Proselytist Central, when none
of the protagonists were even Christian? In any case, though I've often
voiced my misgivings about this project, I look forward to reading your
contributions to it and to any other text projects we're likely to come up
with. (And your Aesop is the next item on my list of texts to review. Are
you translating from any original, or retelling? --- Guess I'll find out
soon enough. I translated some tales from the original into Lojban last
year, as MarkS mentioned, and found the originals were extremely deadpan,
with bleeding-obvious morals.)

I do find it occasionally cute to explore nooks-and-crannies of New Testament
Greek, I'll admit; and comparing the syntax of the original, English, Klingon,
and New Guinea Pidgin translations has been so instructive, I think I'm
going to base my PhD on it. (In particular, the criteria for expressing
concepts as single sentences versus multiple linked sentences.) Regrettably,
I don't think I'll be able to
include Klingon data in my thesis, and the linguistics profs here are having
a merry old time laughing about my lack of Klingon informants... Still,
I could just teach myself a Papuan language and carry my Hol work across.
And there are many languages on this Earth much wierder than Klingon. The
linguistically minded among you might want to have a look at Abkhaz some
time. My superficial impression of it is that it's Klingon to the nth degree...
(Abkhaz is a Caucasus language, making the news because its language community
is attempting to secede from Georgia.)

=Second, I do think that tlhIngan Hol can be made into a viable language.
=It is not as hard as you may think to translate other material into it.

Amen, sir. This has been my experience exactly.

=BTW does anyone have any idea what type of an animals these resemble?

=         'er                 type of animal (n)

Whatever Okrand might come up with, if translations of ours take hold in
the community, they'll fix what these animals are. Ru'Dov the Red-nosed 'er
might determine what an 'er is...

=         Qogh                type of animal (n)

... and my translating "lamb" as Qogh Qup in _Much Ado_ might have a similar
effect. Btw, I'm undecided as to whether a targh corresponds to ones horse
or ones dog; in _Much Ado_, I've used it as both.

--
***
"Relax." -- "yIleS." [Three seconds pause.] "Stop Relaxing!" -- "yIleSHa'!"

Back to archive top level