tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 06 10:14:55 1993

Re: HaghmoHwI'Hom vInIDqa', and a J'accuse at Okrand

Nick NICHOLAS says:
:
:
: batlh Duja' [email protected]:
:
: ={chalHa'DIbaH wamghachvaD Ha'DIbaH..} comes out much clearer as
: ={chalHa'DIbaH wammeH Ha'DIbaH} "The animal for hunting birds".
: =After all, that's what {-meH} is for, qar'a'?
:
: True, though just to be on the safe side, I'd say wamlu'meH. People don't
: keep an animal so that it may hunt, but so that they may hunt with it. But
: this is pedantry.
...and _I_'d say >luwamlu'meH<! After all, it hunts more than one bird, qar'a'?

Nick, I agree with you that Okrand has in some sense deserted tlhingan Hol.
Someone once pointed out that he might be scared>-ba'< of the momentum this
thing has gained (sorry about using a VS6 in English, there was no better way
to express it). If this is the case, I sympathize with him. However, I do think
_Power Klingon_ is a step in the right direction, though I'm not sure if it's a
sign of the times or a last hurrah. As for "improving" the language, I see it
as playing with fire. This is not to say that it wouldn't be very beneficial if
done right, but it *must* be done right. I think perhaps the KLI should keep
what Anthony Appleyard has called an EOV (central list of vinyakaarier (lit.
"new-makings" (Quenya))), and I think perhaps, following the traditions on the
Tolklang list, we should use some indication (e. g. a prefixed plus sign) to
mark such vinyakaarier, and perhaps include a list of doubtful/new words as I
did (and will continue to do, should the need arise) with my Esther
translation. Of course, should Okrand care to peruse the list, that would be
ideal. The one thing we must be careful of is ripping the language bodily from
Okrand's guidance -- we may, nay must, tend the fields while the master is on
vacation, but we must not plow them under.

:
: Savan.
'ej qavan! ;>

:
: --
:  @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @
:    Nick Nicholas. Melbourne University, Australia.    [email protected]
:                                     ---
: "Some of the English might say that the Irish orthography is very Irish.
: Personally, I have a lot of respect for a people who can create something so
: grotesque."
: -- Andrew Rosta <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
:
:

Qapla' Qichqemwi'vo'.