tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 20 11:26:37 1993

"... is as good as..."

>From: [email protected] (The Songbringer -- Marnen to the common fol
>    k)
>Date:    Mon, 26 Jul 93 16:41:31 EDT

>Will Martin says:
>[...]
>:      Or how else would one say, "I speak Klingon as well as Kruge."?

>How about > tlhingan Hol jatlh Qugh 'e' QaQ tlhingan Hol vijatlh 'e'
>QaQ rap < ? ( I may have misplaced the >'e'<s)

I don't think I like that.  Remember, near as we can tell, the law'/puS
makes no real sense (subject before the verb?  verbs used in possessive
constructs?) so it's some fossilized form that we probably can't
extrapolate from.  Replacing with "rap"... wait, that's not what you did.
Oh, I see, you're trying to use the 'e' to make the sentences into
noun-phrases. Trouble is that they wind up as the *objects* of the "QaQ"
verbs, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  And you could use a "je"
there to mean that this *and* that are similar.  I suppose if you used
-ghach to nominalize those jatlh's and QaQ's it might work, but somehow I
think I'd need to hear that you meant the *degrees* to which your speaking
and Qugh's speaking is good are similar (maybe lojban influence, {leni}
clause?)  Despite what I said about about not extrapolating from the
law'/puS construction, I still like

tlhIngan Hol jatlhghach Qugh QaQ law' tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhghach Qaq puSbe'

tacking on a suffix like that doesn't seem intrusive enough, I guess.  It
sounds like "He speaks it well, but I'm not less so!"

~mark

Back to archive top level