tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 01 14:30:56 2014

[Tlhingan-hol] Juggling

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh ([email protected])

I wanted to write brief directions describing how to juggle when I realize, we don’t have a word for “catch”. We have {jon} for “capture”, but that’s not like catching a ball. We also have no word for “throw”, like tossing a ball at a target. We have (jaD}, but that definition goes out of its way to suggest there is no target. It’s like tossing around an enemy’s head after a battle.

If you just wanted a to give a vague description, you could say that juggling balls is {moQmey jaD}, but that’s what it looks like to someone who never actually juggles.

I could use {baH}, but that’s like using {Duj} for a canoe. We all know that {Duj} refers to a SPACE ship, and we stretch the word out of personal need to describe water ships and other vehicles.

I could use {chuH}, but I’m not juggling spears, and I’m not throwing anything a great distance.

I hold two balls in my right hand (ball one and ball three), and I hold ball two in my left hand. I toss ball one in order that my left hand catches it.

I toss ball two in order that my right hand catches it, and in order to empty my left hand, ready to catch ball one. I catch ball one.

I toss ball three in order that my left hand catches it, and in order to empty my right hand, ready to catch ball two. I catch ball two.

I toss ball one in order that my right hand catches it, and in order to empty my left hand, ready to catch ball three. I catch ball three.

The goal of each toss is to make the catch easy. Tossing well is important. {potlh tosschu’ghach}.

Apparently, Klingons don’t juggle, or at least Maltz doesn’t.

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably