tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 21 04:03:35 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] ghargh'a' HoD'a' je -- cha'DIch

De'vID ([email protected])

Gaerfindel:
>> loD mach tu'lu'.  loDHom tu'lu'.

loghaD:
> Not a grammatical mistake, but this gives me the feelings that you're talking about two separate people: A small man and a boy.

wa' DoS wIqIp. wa' loD, loD tlhejbogh wa' loDHom'e' je tu'lu' 'e' vIyajpu'.

Gaerfindel:
>> rut bID loD pong.

loghaD:
> I'm afraid I can't check from here, but I believe one ordinarily places «bID» after the thing that's in half; for example, I know "skirt" has been translated as «paH bID» ("half a dress/robe"), at least.

{paH bID} "skirt" (a half-dress)
{yopwaH bID} "shorts" (a [pair of] half-pants) - of course, English is
weird here in insisting that "pants" are plural

{cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej... lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu'} "2 Full
Decks and a Half Utility Deck [i.e., half of a deck]..."

I'd interpret {bID paH} as half a dress (one part of a dress ripped in
half), and similarly for {bID yopwaH}.

loghaD:
> Of course, one could argue that «loD bID», "man's half", would be more appropriate for a man who's been cut in half, whereas «bID loD» ("half:ish man") is more appropriate for a man who exhibits some sort of ... "halfiness".

I'd interpret {bID loD} as "a half of a man", "half a man" (one part
of a man chopped in half). A {loD bID}, like {paH bID} and {yopwaH
bID}, is something like the full thing, but smaller, like a dwarf.

Gaerfindel:
>> "He'd been accused of poisoning the king's cup during his wedding."
>>
>> {SawtaHvIS ta', chIch ta' HIvjeDaq tarHey'e' nopupu' loDHom}

I'm not sure which verb you'd intended with *{nopupu'}... perhaps
{nobpu'}? I thought it was a typo for {pum} "accuse" since that
appears in the English, but couldn't make it work.

Consider {qang} or {lIch} for pouring a poison.

--
De'vID