tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 09 12:50:19 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: poS

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

The word "open" appears only in the English translation, so while it is
quite informative on the subject of the Klingon attitude towards an open
hand, and may address quljIb's thought, it doesn't give any information on
whether that hand can be considered poS.

- Qov

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Boozer [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: June 9, 2014 13:16
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: poS

quljIb
>> If {poS} can mean both "be open" and "left side" then it might make
>> sense for Klingons to extend an open, left hand, his {ghIt poS}, so
>> that he can still retain a grip on a weapon if needed.

Unless most Klingons are left-handed.

Qov:
> Meanwhile I'm not sure what it would mean to a Klingon to have an "open"
> hand.

There's a common simile which is informative:

  yuDHa'; ghIt rur
  honest as an open hand KGT
  honest as an ax head KGT

{ghIt} reminds Klingons of axes:

KGT 63:  The general term for ax is {'obmaQ}. Its handle is its {DeS} and
its blade is its {ghIt}. These words, {DeS} and {ghIt}, when referring to
humanoid anatomy, mean "arm" and "open, flat hand" (as opposed to a fist
[{ro'}]), respectively, suggesting that at one time the ax was considered an
extension of the warrior himself.

Note BTW that {ghIt} "open, flat hand" is not the same as {toch} "palm (of
hand)".  Some more hand imagery in Klingon:

KGT 69:  To challenge one to a duel to the death, one hits one's adversary
with the back of the hand ({chap}). If one is hitting someone for some other
reason, such as simple enjoyment, one uses the fist ({ro'}).

{ro'lIj HI'ang} "Show me your fist!" is "an idiomatic expression used to
challenge someone to take action in a manner consistent with something he or
she has just said." (Cf. KGT 195.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons