tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 09 12:15:42 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: poS

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

quljIb
>> If {poS} can mean both "be open" and "left side" then it might make sense
>> for Klingons to extend an open, left hand, his {ghIt poS}, so that he can
>> still retain a grip on a weapon if needed.

Unless most Klingons are left-handed.

Qov:
> Meanwhile I'm not sure what it would mean to a Klingon to have an "open"
> hand.

There's a common simile which is informative:

  yuDHa'; ghIt rur
  honest as an open hand KGT
  honest as an ax head KGT

{ghIt} reminds Klingons of axes:

KGT 63:  The general term for ax is {'obmaQ}. Its handle is its {DeS} and its blade is its {ghIt}. These words, {DeS} and {ghIt}, when referring to humanoid anatomy, mean "arm" and "open, flat hand" (as opposed to a fist [{ro'}]), respectively, suggesting that at one time the ax was considered an extension of the warrior himself.

Note BTW that {ghIt} "open, flat hand" is not the same as {toch} "palm (of hand)".  Some more hand imagery in Klingon:

KGT 69:  To challenge one to a duel to the death, one hits one's adversary with the back of the hand ({chap}). If one is hitting someone for some other reason, such as simple enjoyment, one uses the fist ({ro'}).

{ro'lIj HI'ang} "Show me your fist!" is "an idiomatic expression used to challenge someone to take action in a manner consistent with something he or she has just said." (Cf. KGT 195.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons