tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 10 10:21:41 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] "Klingon" in parody of Coke commercial

PICHLMANN Christoph ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 10:46:49 +0100
From: Lieven <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Tlhingan-hol] "Klingon" in parody of Coke commercial

>Christoph is talking like a true klingon, but he should not
>
> > apologize for the malice in the following,
>
>;- )
>
>Because he is right: The problem with the KLI's server is a very old one, and it comes back once a year. Everybody wants to
>help, but we don't know why those who are responsible do not react...(?)

Hrm. It is one thing to be brutally honest, but another to be just brutal. I fear that I am likely to cross the line (stressful day at work). I know I did before (not here, I think), so I thought it's better to clarify that my intentions are not purely evil, just a bit viciously, but in a friendly way.
Also, like I said before, I'm a human, not a klingon. So it's not culturally taboo for me to be apologetic <ggg>

(In the same vein, I guess, I'd add that much as I'd like to help the KLI I don't really know what to do except for trying to talk smart (easy) or giving money (also easy, and cheap, IMO).)

>But I do not think that one can copy complete websites and spread those ovre the web.
Well, not websites, but a single page. A resource page that links to a central page doesn't need much. If necessary, even the pictures could be hotlinked. (Meaning a lot of traffic for that site, though.)
The main purpose of that site would be to increase the chance of someone coming across it and then reaching the main hub.

>A central information hub is again quite complicated. Which one will it be? The KLI should be, but it is not maintained for >years. We do have several important and very complete source pages, and they are spread, BUT interlinked - one just needs to set >up more links to those pages.
Unsurprisingly, I'd nominate you/your page(s). Provincial as I am, qephom.de is about the extent of the klingon websites I know.
Your klingonteacher persona also fits the bill quite nicely.

>I'm working on that. (on my to-do-list) But this should be the KLI, and that's the problem.
I agree, but I also think that qephom.de could be a good start for a second(ary?) hub.
(Of course, since I hardly know anything beyond qephom.de, I'm rather biased. I have no doubt there are others who do equally much, or perhaps more, but I am ignorant of their work, so I can only comment on what I know.)

Much as I dislike change, perhaps the focus should shift from the KLI to something else (qepHom). Then later it might shift back - right now the important issue is to have SOMETHING that is active.
The KLI could/should still deal with legal issues and whatnot. But new speakers need an active community, which thanks to its brokenness this mailing list is not, even if there are enough active people.

Christoph

P.S:

DaHjaj, qay'taH yaHwIj.
vaj, reH jIchawrupqa' vImojba'...

(Intented meaning: Much trouble at work today. I always get chatty when stressed. Obviously...)