tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 07 14:07:14 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Vocabulary Sources & Sort Order

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

The first time I did this, I ran a program (no spreadsheets, yet) on a DEC VAX computer. It tokenized each romanized di- and trigraph along the lines that ghunchu'wI' describes, but then did a global substitution on every character in the line to assign them characters with the proper ASCII value to sort correctly. For example, 'q' and 'Q', were tokenized as 'k' and 'q', and were then replaced in the line to sort by two characters whose sort values were one apart, such as '!' and '@'.  The converted string was then sorted, converted back to the tokenized forms, and then the tokens expanded and/or substituted with their actual romanized values.

It seems bizarrely complex, but DEC had their own version of BASIC, and it contained a CONVERT function to do all those codings and decodings in a single line of code (I guess for some purpose very similar to this), so the whole program was only a few lines of code.

-- ter'eS