tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 06 00:28:32 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Vocabulary Sources & Sort Order

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 17:56, Qov <[email protected]> wrote:
> Speaking of creativity, when it comes to sorting lists in Klingon, let's
> see, if I substitute:
>
> ' --> z
> ch --> c
> gh --> f
> ng -->nx
> Q --> Qx
> tlh --> tx
>
> do the sort and then reverse the procedure, I think will get almost the
> correct sort order without losing information. A word like bot'eng would end
> up after botlh'eng, but I don't think there are any examples like that.
>
> I can't do tlh->tz, because then bot'eng becomes botzeng and botlh'eng
> becomes botzzeng and reversing the process gives either botlheng and
> botlh'eng or bot'eng and bot''eng.
>
> I suppose the safe option is to sub every single letter so that the 26
> Klingon ones become the 26 latin ones, in an order that subs the two and
> three letter combos (I don't care what we call them) first and then the undo
> needs to be in a calculated order, too. Someone must have this down to a
> science.

I've done this several times.

Note that another thing to watch out for is that "ng" should be
replaced only if it is not followed by "h": "nenghep" is not
"neng-hep" but rather "nen-ghep", for example.

The undo only needs to be in a calculated order if you do a global
search-and-replace for all "a"s, then all "b"s, etc., rather than
mapping each letter of an input word one by one (which is what I
usually do). (So I apply all possible substitutions one letter at a
time, rather than applying one substitution at a time to all letters
at once.)

I call the sortable spelling "uhmal gnj" (because that's what
"tlhIngan Hol" maps onto). It's unfortunately not particularly
readable.

I wrote a web converter for my own use at
http://pne.mizinamo.org/uhmal.cgi that you're welcome to use, though
without the inverse it's of limited use to you, I suppose :)

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[email protected]>