tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 30 21:03:20 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] chatlh wIb

Qov ([email protected])

At 20:40 '?????' 4/30/2012, De'vID jonpIn wrote:
Qov:
> 'eDjen ghaH'a'? chay' ghoj?

ja' vutwI'.  I guess I should make that more explicit than the English.

I'm just giving you my stream of consciousness as I read. Feel free to believe that I should have understood it for myself.

De'vID:
>> tagha', tlhoS Qay'mo' vIlle',

Qov:
> 'Iv ghaH vIlle'vam'e'? toy'wI ghaH'a'?

jISovbe'.  vIlle' ghaH neH.

"Adherent" already has religious connotations, so that helps the reader in English. I suppose it doesn't matter.

Qov:
> Maybe I'm glad you didn't go there, but the concept of fresher or not fermented helps to explain what was better about the soup. > As you'll see below, when I read the Klingon I thought it was about B berating himself for inadequately teaching his students to make soup, Making it clear that this was a matter of ingredient selection not cooking skill would have helped me here.

I didn't want to overcomplicate things.

And I totally understand that. As I first began to read it I thought "good for you for skipping that cultural note" but then when I understood what the deal was with the {chatlh nIv} I thought it could help.

Qov:
>> , noticing that he was being served better miso than
>> his pupils, asked: "Who is the cook today?"
>
> Ahhh. I read chatlhDaj QaQ law' ghojwI'Daj chatlh QaQ puS as the possession indicating the cook not the consumer. The English takes pains to avoid that interpretation. Perhaps DuqDaj chatlh QaQ law' ... or chatlh Sopbogh QaQ law' ...
>
> If you serve me something and I say "my cake is better than yours," I'm insulting your cake (or talking up mine) not commenting on your generosity in giving me the best piece.
>
> I wonder (and apologize for) what wrong paths I send my readers down by failing to block a possible misinterpretation.

I guess I need to repeat {Bankei}'s name to make this clear:
chatlh'e' Sopbogh {Bankei} QaQ law' chatlh'e' Sopbogh ghojwI'pu'Daj
QaQ puS 'e' tlhojmo' {Bankei}...

mu'tlheghvetlhmo' SIbI' qech vIyaj. maj.

- Qov