tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 26 11:54:11 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] voDleH Qun je

Seruq ([email protected])

> lalDan tay lopwI'Daj tlhob, jatlh: <jIHvaD boghjaj puqloD!>
> voDleHvaD jatlh lopwI': <Qun {Varuna} yItlhob!>

I was a little confused at first.  I was actually wondering if I was mis-remembering [lop].

> He asked his priest: "May a son be born to me!"
> The priest said to the king: "Pray to the god Werunos [Varuna]".

Even before Qov's reply, the first idea to come to mind was [lalDan yaS].  I have seen it used
before; I have used it too.
Qov's [lalDan po'wI'] I would take more literally; someone who is an expert on religion,
academically, a professor; not necessarily in a position of leadership within the religion.

[lop] perhaps could have worked if I was familiar with that usage in English.  Until Qov mentioned
it, I never heard of it.  The things one learns while participating in the use of the Klingon
language.

> chalvo' ghIr Qun {Varuna}: <nuqneH?> jatlh.

Was the god greeting the king, or was he actually asking the full and proper [nuq DaneH?]

DloraH (teH, jIyIntaH 'ej jISaHtaH ... Hoch vIlaDchu' 'e' vInIDtaH.)