tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 24 13:58:28 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Schleicher's fable

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

At 13:19 '?????' 4/24/2012, De'vID jonpIn wrote:

(Translated at Philip Newton's suggestion.)

HuDHomDaq Sarghmey legh veD ghajbe'bogh targh'e'. lupDuj 'ugh luHtaH wa'. tep tIn qengtaH wa'. wa' lIghtaHvIS loD nom ghoS.

Consider reversing the last sentence to {nom ghoS wa' lIghtaHvIS loD} to preserve the parallel structure of the three horses' tasks.

SarghmeyvaD jatlh targh: <mu'oy' tIqwIj, Sarghmey ghatlh loD 'e' vIleghtaHvIS>. jatlh Sarghmey: <Qoy, targh, nu'oy' tIqDu'maj,

I think you want {'oy'moH} instead of {'oy'}, or a different prefix in each case.

ghu'vam wIleghtaHvIS: pIn'a'vaD loQ tujmoHbogh yIvbeH chenmoHmeH pIn'a', targh veD lo' loD. 'ej veD ghajbe' targh.>

Having a bit of trouble with the logic here.

"In order for the master to make a shirt that will heat him slightly he uses targh fur. And a targ has no fur."

Consider {ghunmoH} instead of {loQ tujmoH} so that I don't have to stop and think if loQ might be modifying something else instead. Perhaps you intended second person, {'ej veD Daghajbe', targh} or you didn't mean to include {'ej veD ghajbe' targh} in the attributed speech?

Qoypu'DI' targh, Haw' 'ej yotlh ghoS.

I guess the targ fled to the field because he was afraid that having no fur, the master would use some other part of him to obtain warmth, but it's not super clear. Maybe it makes more sense if you're a targ.

Ah, a translation ... lets' see.

<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schleicher's_fable>http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schleicher's_fable
[On a hill,] a sheep

A sheep is a really special purpose animal, and if you're going to include it in a translation I think you need to spend a moment digressing to explain something to the effect of {veD lIngtaH HaDI'baHvam 'ej veD yobmeH chIpchu' pIn'a', Ha'DIbaH pe'be'taHvIS}.

that had no wool saw horses, one of them pulling a heavy wagon, one carrying a big load, and one carrying a man quickly.

Your Klingon sounds better than that.

The sheep said to the horses: "My heart pains me, seeing a man driving horses". The horses said: "Listen, sheep, our hearts pain us

Yeah so it's definitely {'oy'moH}

when we see this: a man, the master, makes the wool of the sheep into a warm garment for himself. And the sheep has no wool".

Having heard this, the sheep fled into the plain.

Yeah, I don't get it in English either. The sheep already being shorn, clearly knows the way it works and doesn't seem to be sufficiently resentful of the process to have spent any thought on it, yet when the horses point out some equality in the situation instead of using that to bolster whatever argument the sheep was putting forward about enslavement by humans, he takes off, like this was new or contradictory information.

Nice story, though. I wish more people would write stories, or translate stories I don't already know, for me to read. Instead I write my own. Gory battle scene today (writing it, not posting it). vajar can be really sweet and caring but I gave him an opportunity to pick up a nISwI' beH, and boom he's a mean SOB.