tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 11 02:19:47 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] The Lord's Prayer

De'vID jonpIn ([email protected])

naHQun:
>> 9 Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
>> Suto'vo'qorDaq SoHtaH vavmaj; ponglIj quvmoH.

Philip Newton:
> This translation is by you? I'm really surprised.
>
> For example, is there a reason you decided that God is not capable of
> using language, or were you trying to insult him?

This reminds me of the familiar/inferior form of address in medieval Urdu:
"The former... is only used to address people who are clearly lower in
social rank than yourself, or in very intimate relationships, such as
from a mother to her child or between lovers... [Footnote: In older
texts, one comes across this form to address God.]"
books.google.ch/books?id=LqZ-6QRKc7wC&lpg=PA137&dq=form+to+address+God&hl=de&pg=PA137&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=262%20God&f=false

Klingon also has its {wIj jup}.  So it's not necessarily insulting,
but may indicate a close degree of intimacy instead.  Then again,
maybe it is insulting.

Philip Newton:
> And isn't "Give us" a command rather than a statement? I would have
> expected something like {tIr ngoghmaj ghonob} or {maHvaD tIr ngoghmaj
> yInob}.

I'd have expected a {-neS} somewhere, if "give us" is petitionary.
One normally doesn't give commands, as such, to gods.  (Well, maybe
Klingons do -- after all, they killed them.)

--
De'vID