tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 11 00:24:33 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] The Lord's Prayer

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 06:50, Michael Roney, Jr. PKT <[email protected]> wrote:
> 9 Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
> Suto'vo'qorDaq SoHtaH vavmaj; ponglIj quvmoH.

This translation is by you? I'm really surprised.

For example, is there a reason you decided that God is not capable of
using language, or were you trying to insult him?

Also, I would have expected either a subject for {quvmoH} or something
like {-jaj} or even {-lu'jaj}.

> 10 Thy kingdom come.
> wo'Daj cher

That's "his kingdom", isn't it, rather than "thy kingdom"? (Or were
you thinking Spanish: su reino - where Usted takes the "she" form of
the verb?)

And who is the subject of {cher}?

> Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
> tera'Daq chutDaj luloblu'; 'e' rur Suto'vo'qorDaq.
>
> 11 Give us this day our daily bread.
> DaHvam tIr ngoghDaj junob.

And "his law" and "his bread"?

And isn't "Give us" a command rather than a statement? I would have
expected something like {tIr ngoghmaj ghonob} or {maHvaD tIr ngoghmaj
yInob}.

{wo'lIj cher!} could be a command in clipped Klingon, but I can't see
how {junob} can be anything but a statement.

> (10) I chose cher over ghoS.
> As I understand it, we're talking about establishing God's Kingdom
> upon the Earth; not his Kingdom arriving on a ship.

Perhaps {chenjaj} could also work.

Cheers,
Philip
--