tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 10 09:05:16 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] The Lord's Prayer

Qov ([email protected])

The FAQ suggests that he used different words, "This came up once before, in Nick Nicholas' translation of the Lord's Prayer, where he translated "those who transgressed against us" as nuQu'maghwI'pu'." Perhaps that was an early version and the calligraphy one is based on a later one. You can spot the oldest ones as they are -ghach free. I still can't find it.

Here's another one. <http://everything2.com/title/The+Lord%2527s+Prayer%253A+Klingon>http://everything2.com/title/The+Lord%2527s+Prayer%253A+Klingon Lots of mistakes, but might be some ideas, e.g. I think not seeking revenge is a very interesting cast for "forgive".

Here's one by Peter, who goes by martiancyclist on Live Journal <http://christianity.livejournal.com/3563168.html?thread=78604448>http://christianity.livejournal.com/3563168.html?thread=78604448

vavma' Qun qo'Daq SoHtaHbogh
quvjaj ponglIj.
ghoSjaj wo'lIj 'ej qo'vamDaq,
bIQapqang'chu'jaj; Qun qo'Daq rur.
jaj Soj ghonob 'ej
quvHa'ghachmeymaj ghonobHa';
quvHa'ghachmey manobchuqHa' rur.
tlhu'ghachDaq ghoDevQo'
'ach mIghvo' ghotoD

Here's another one, no attribution, from a Big Bang Theory forum thread: <http://forum.the-big-bang-theory.com/archive/index.php/thread-1518-5.html>http://forum.the-big-bang-theory.com/archive/index.php/thread-1518-5.html

vavma', Qun qo'Daq SoHtaHbogh
quvjaj ponglIj
ghoSjaj wo'lIj 'ej bIQapqangchu'jaj
qo'majDaq 'e' rapjaj Qunqo'Daq
jaj Soj ghonob 'ej
QuvHa'ghachmeyvo' manobchuqHa'
'e' rapjaj QuvHa'ghachmeymajvo' ghonobHa'ghach
tlhu'ghachDaq ghoDevQo'
'ach mIghvo' ghotoD

While looking for Nick's again I found this www.qaos.de/Liedersammlung.doc stunning list of German filk songs, some of which are about Klingons, and towards the end there are some in tlhIngan Hol, some familiar and some new to me. The German for tribbles appears to be Tribbles--I would have thought Tribblen.

I love how the Paramount Hol <jIH bang SoH> -- clearly the result of someone trying to do a word-for-word look up on "I love you" can be turned into meaning "You are my love" just by applying the grammatical variation that gives us <jIH 'em>.

Also: what the heck is this page: <http://ftp.crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/sword/raw/modules/lexdict/rawld/klvenglish/dicte.dat>http://ftp.crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/sword/raw/modules/lexdict/rawld/klvenglish/dicte.dat ?

I don't know how to search the KLI archives anymore.

- Qov

At 07:50 '?????' 4/10/2012, you wrote:
It is conceivable that that version is Nick's; it looks really familiar. Someone may have found it and decided to calligraph it.

-- ter'eS