tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 07 07:33:47 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] 2 letter language code for Klingon?

From: lojmIt tI'wI' nuv [mailto:[email protected]]

> I know from his Web site that SuStel came up with an interesting
> alphabet derived from Tolkien languages that used diacritical marks to
> represent vowels following the consonants to which they are applied.
> While this is spatially efficient, it's really still an alphabet, with
> vowels overlaid upon consonants and a rule explaining that in terms of
> phonemes, the vowel follows the overlaid consonant.

You're referring to my Klingon mode for Tengwar:
http://www.trimboli.name/KlingonTengwar.html

Tolkien;s Tengwar is an alphabet that uses the shapes of the letters to
indicate the consonant sounds. Stops have a lowered stem; fricatives and
affricates have a raised stem; unvoiced sounds have a single bow; voiced
sounds have a double bow. Then there are the additional letters. Each
culture in Tolkien's world would adapt the Tengwar to the best fit for
their own language. I simply did the same for Klingon: I mapped the
sounds to the correct shapes.

As for the vowels, Tengwar had both the consonant-altering "diacritics"
I used, as well as separate symbols used for vowels. I chose the
diacritics simply because I like them.

In any case, I created this mode for Tengwar just because I had been
pondering how Klingon would fit in the system, and wanted to see it in
practice. It had nothing to do with whether Tengwar was an alphabet.

> In an imaginary world, things can be explained many ways.

Which means we shouldn't limit ourselves to one explanation, like
"Klingons use this simple alphabet. End of story," unless we are
explicitly told this.

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/