tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 28 12:05:12 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] paq'batlh: COMPARING ADVERBS

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Actually, we've seen this use of {-qu'} adding its emphasis to the adverbial before:

  nom yIghoSqu'
  Maximum speed. (ST5 notes)

Modifying:

  cha'maH vagh vatlhvI' Hong. QIt yIghoS!
  Slow to one quarter impulse power. ST5

produces on this model:

  QIt yIghoSqu'
  Minimum speed.  (As slowly as possible?)

My own view is that because of Klingon's rigid word order, the ADVERBIAL + VERB form a unit and therefore suffixes emphasize - or can emphasize - the verbal unit as a whole since advierbials cannot take an affix (with the possible exception of {-Ha'}).  By modifying the example:

  tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  Hit them hard and hit them fast. TKW

you may be able to say:

   pe'vIl tIqIpqu'