tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 26 14:27:29 2011

[Tlhingan-hol] paq'batlh: COMPARING ADVERBS

Agnieszka Solska ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

There is a line in the book possibly indicating how to compare adverbs:

   Stories travel faster than a khrun
   nom leng Hun nom lengqu' lut
   (pp 130-131)

Unless the line in English is merely a loose, poetic interpretation
of the Klingon text, we should at last be able to express such ideas as:

   My ship is faster than yours.
   nom leng DujlIj, nom lengqu' DujwIj.

   I speak Klingon more slowly than you.
   QIt tlhIngan Hol bIjatlh, QIt tlhIngan Hol jIjatlhqu'.

   Your captain acts more honorably than you.
   batlh bIvang, batlh vangqu' HoDlI'.

   Terrans smile more often than Romulans.
   pIj mon romuluSnganpu', pIj monqu' tera'nganpu'.

I added the commas, though perhaps periods would work better here.
There in no punctuation in the Klingon text of <<paq'batlh>>.

'ISqu'