tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 24 13:37:44 2011

RE: nom qetwI'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Quvar:
>> I thought about an adjectivial use of an adverb. I know, this sounds
>> strange. Perhaps it's a concept that nobody thought of, or it just
>> doesn't work... ?

ghunchu'wI':
> It was thought of, thoroughly discussed, and dismissed. I was on the
> "it works for me" side for a while, but I eventually realized it only
> worked for me when *I* said it. When someone else tries it, it doesn't
> work for me at all.

Quvar:
> That's what I thought. It's probably an internal brain error translating
> and adverb as an adjective: nom qetwI' is more like a quickly runner
> [sic], not a quick runner.
> you convinced me, an I convinced myelf. it was just a thought :-)

lojmIt tI'wI'nuv:
> For me, the issue relates to the boundaries limiting the reach of the
> suffix {-wI'}. A suffix like {-meH} or {-mo'} or {-bogh} can drag
> adverbials along for the ride because they define clauses. {-wI'}
> doesn't form a clause. It just nominalizes a verb. It doesn't
> nominalize a whole clause. Just a word.

Quvar:

Instead of using the {ADVERBIAL VERB+wI'} pattern for a noun phrase, you can *sometimes* use the various adverb-like verb suffixes:

>>   {nom qetwI' SoH}
>>   "you are a quick runner"

   ? qetqu'wI' SoH

We've seen {-qu'} used on a verb of motion:

  nom yIghoSqu'
  Maximum speed. ST5

but one example doesn't establish a pattern.  (Has it appeared on any other verb of motion?)

>>   {tlhoy SopwI' ghaH}
>>   "he's a too-much-eater"

   ? Sopqu'wI' ghaH

>>   {not jeghwI'}
>>   "a never surrenderer"

   ? jeghQo'wI'

>>   {pe'vIl tlhutlhwI'}
>>   "forcefully drinker"

   ?  tlhutlhqu'wI'
   ?? tlhutlhchu'wI'

But the problem with {-qu'} "emphatic", {-chu'} "perfectly, properly", etc. is that each of us probably won't understand them the same way.  Would a *{qetqu'wI'} be someone who runs very fast?  someone who runs too hard?  someone who runs too much?

OTOH some suffices may work very nicely.  *{qettaHwI'} works nicely for a "long-distance runner, marathon runner".  E.g.

  qettaH
  He/she keeps on running KGT

--
Voragh