tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 11 10:59:13 2010

RE: A bit of new canon

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

An old (January, 1998) piece of canon to back up the purpose noun:

http://klingonska.org/canon/search/?file=1998-01-18c-news.txt

ghItlhta' Hol chenmoHwI' quv:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    {jIpaSqu'mo' narghpu' qaSuchmeH 'eb.}
    "Because I'm very late, the opportunity to visit you has escaped."
    ({qaSuchmeH 'eb} "opportunity for me to visit you")

    {qaSuch vIneH 'ach narghpu' 'eb.  jIpaSqu'.}
    "I want to visit you, but the opportunity has escaped. I am very late."

    {qaSuchlaHbe'.  jIpaSqu' vaj narghpu' 'eb.}
    "I cannot visit you. I am very late, thus the opportunity has escaped."

I hope this helps with the "I was too late to visit you" problem.  I don't know if it will help with the more general problem of "{-meH} and negative meanings," which is the topic of the original posting.

Notice that the -«meH»-construction is used after the predicate of the sentence, which would not have been allowed if it were used to modify the whole sentence (rather than just the noun).

Sincerely,
loghaD