tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 19 05:33:36 2010

Re: monastery

R Fenwick ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Quvar, jatlh:
>The word for monastery is {ghIn}.  This is a pretty general term for a
>religious community (and the term "religious" could be interpreted in
>various ways as well), so it can be modified.  A {ghIn'a'} would be a
>pretty important monastery, for example.

tlhob naHQun:
>Clarification: does ghIn refer to the community itself, or the place that
>they live?

Some musing follows. Feel free to regard or disregard at your leisure.

The English word "monastery" now only refers to the building, but judging
solely from Okrand's phrasing - "a pretty general term for a religious
community" - I'm led to think that {ghIn} might well refer to the community
itself. If that's the case, maybe *{ghIn qach} "monastery building" would be
understood to refer specifically to the building, though if a {ghIn} is the
community rather than the building, perhaps the home of a {ghIn} is just
considered a type of {chIrgh} "temple". Indeed, if a {ghIn} is really more
the community than the building, and if Okrand's note on the term "religious"
in the gloss offers as much latitude as it seems to, I wonder if, say, the
Old Order Amish (not a monastery in any usual sense of the word) could be
considered a {ghIn}.

Just thinkin' out loud here.

FWIW, I'm going to beat Voragh to the punch here and just note briefly
that the Boreth monastery had particular importance to Klingons, and it was
mentioned in TNG episode 6x23 "Rightful Heir"; Voragh, I'm guessing you have
some more in-depth notes on it? Upon seeing the word {ghIn'a'} my first
thought was of the monastery at Boreth.

QeS 'utlh

Back to archive top level