tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 15 13:41:35 2010

RE: tractor beam

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Felix:
> There have been several known Klingon ships in canon that used tractor
> beams:
>
> DS9: "Way of the Warrior":  The Klingon Bird-of-Prey IKS M'Char locks
> on to the Xhosa (Kasidy Yates' freighter) with a tractor beam in order
> to search it.
>
> DS9: "Return to Grace" - A Klingon Bird-of-Prey under the command of
> K'Temang locks on to the Groumall (Gul Dukat's Cardassian Military
> Freighter) with a tractor beam.
>
> ENT: "Unexpected" - Vorok's battle cruise was equipped with a tractor
> beam.
>
> ENT: "Borderland" - A Bird-of-Prey uses a tractor beam on an Augment
> transport shuttle.

Voragh:
>> OTOH I wonder if Maltz hasn't also given us the word for "tow", which
>> we've been lacking until now, or at least a slang term: {yuH} "yank"
>> - as tractor beams are primarily used for towing. According to _The
>> Star Trek Encyclopedia_ (1994 ed.) a tractor beam is:
>>
>>   A focused linear graviton force beam used to physically manipulate
>>   objects across short distances. Tractor beams were used by Federation
>>   starships and other space vehicles as a means of towing other vessels.
>>   Tractor beams were also used to provide short-range guidance for
>>   approaching or departing shuttlecraft.                [STE p.348]

Felix:
> By the Federation, perhaps, but one might imagine that Klingons mainly
> use tractor beams for tactical purposes; a good "yank" may be a good
> way to throw your enemy off balance, possibly turning the tables in
> your favor.

In the Trek examples you provided it appears that 2 (maybe 3) instances the Klingons used their {luHwI' tIH} for capturing or holding another ship fast, say, as a prelude to boarding.

> Interestingly, though, I don't think we have any other words for
> pulling things.

No we don't.  We do have the opposite general verb {yuv} "push" which does suggest *{yuvHa'} for "pull".

We also have verbs for special kinds of pushing:

KGT 113:  The verb {bI'} ("sweep") refers to the action of pushing something out of the way by using an implement or the forearm as if it were a broom.

KGT 115:  During the course of a bout, both parties ... alternately lunge ({jop}), that is, push the *bat'leth* toward the opponent, and deflect ({way'}), or use the *bat'leth* to push the oncoming one away.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level