tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 13 13:27:00 2010

RE: tractor beam

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Quvar:
> There was a question about whether {tlhaptIH} was a good way to say
> "tractor beam."  Maltz said he'd never heard that before, but he has
> heard {luHwI' tIH}.
> (Marc Okrand's Email of November 15th, 2010)

Aha, a "yank-er beam".  We've been wanting this one for a while.  Now we can retire:

*{jonmeH HoSchem}      tractor beam ("energy field for capturing") (SuStel)
*{jonmeH Surchem}      tractor beam ("force field for capturing") (SuStel)
*{jonmeH tIH}          tractor beam ("energy beam for capturing") (Voragh)
*{jontaHbogh Surchem}  tractor beam (SuStel, jatmey 2)
 etc.

I only have one brief contextual note listed under {woj choHwI'} "reactor":

  The Enterprise-D is equipped with several auxiliary fusion reactors used
  inter alia to power the tractor beam and sublight engines.
  [TNG "Final Mission"]

I wonder... does Maltz's comment imply that Klingon ships aren't usually equipped with a tractor beam?  Does anyone remember seeing a Klingon tractor beam in the episodes or films?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level