tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 07 06:26:24 2010

Klingon retronyms (was RE: latlh mu' chu')

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>>If we're looking for a Klingon term, "retronyms" could be considered
>>a form of {no' Hol}, maybe even {mu'mey Doy'}. Can anyone think of
>>other Klingon retronyms other than {nagh beQ}?

QeS:
>The one that springs immediately to mind, though it's not quite the
>same thing, is {DaSpu'} "boot spike"; IIRC, Okrand says in KGT that
>it likely arose after the older word *{pu'} "spike" was appropriated
>as the usual term for "phaser".

Also {QIn} "message":

KGT 65:  Finally, though not connected to weaponry, the word {QIn} means not only spearhead but also message. In this case, it is not clear which came first. Perhaps the spearhead was always thought of as the message being delivered by the spear or spear wielder.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level