tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 06 12:30:04 2010

RE: latlh mu' chu'

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

ghItlhta' lojmIt tI'wI' nuv:
> All computer storage DISKS are disk shaped, though there are DRIVES
> that are not disk shaped, like the Solid State Hard Drives (SSHD) that
> come with the current models of MacBook Air, or like the USB FLASH
> drives many of us carry around. We talk about hard disks and hard
> drives interchangeably.

Ah, alright.  I think I was confused because in Sweden, the word hårddisk is often used to describe any kind of drive, including "SSD-hårddiskar" (also called "Solid State-hårddiskar") and sometimes "FLASH-hårddiskar".

Is there a good word for words that have grown to mean something other than their original, literal meanings due to everyday use?

Back to archive top level