tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 03 18:06:01 2010

Re: wovmoHwI'mey yupma'

R Fenwick ([email protected])

jIjatlh:
>Also, since {'eH} is an exclamation the use of {-choH} on it is jarring.
>What about saying {rInchoH} "it becomes accomplished" instead?

mujang Voragh, jatlh:
>I don't have my TKD with me, but I thought {'eH} is a quality that can
>also be used as an exclamation (similar to the adverbial {tugh} "soon",
>also used as an exclamation: "Hurry up! Be quick about it!").  Would
>someone check the TKD glossary to see if {'eH} is labeled "v."?

Nope, it's glossed "ready (excl)". This is one thing that's usually a
hassle to new Klingon-speakers, IME - the lack of a generic verb for "to
be ready, to be prepared".

taH:
>Since there are no declined examples, I don't know if we can say:
>  ? DIngwI' vIQuj vIneHqu'.  DaH jI'eH!
>    I really want to play dreydl.  I'm ready now!

ghaytanHa'. In general it seems that we can use other word-classes as
exclamations - adverbials, for instance - but there's no evidence in the
canon that I know of where an exclamation can be inflected.

>or if we must use {-rup}:
>  DaH DIngwI' vIQujrup!
>  I'm ready to play dreydl now!

Hmm. That gives some different options in the second line. How about this
(using {'un lam} "pot dirt" for "clay" - while I still think {lam} alone
is fine, here I'm using {'un lam} primarily to save the metre):

DIngwI' mach vIchenmoH,      (I made a little dreydl,
'un lam DIngwI'Hom pup.      a perfect little clay dreydl.
'ej QaDchoHpu'DI' rInchoH,   And when it's dried it will be finished,
ghIq DIngwI' vIQujrup!       after that, I'm ready to play dreydl!)

QeS 'utlh

Back to archive top level