tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 30 07:47:26 2010

RE: Already

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

buswI':
>> I recently tried to express that I did not want to drink coffee since
>> I'd already had coffee, but found no klingon word for "already". How
>> ever, there is {wej} for "not yet", so I thought that {wejHa'} might
>> work. But of course, I can't put a {-Ha'} after an adverb just as if
>> it had been a verb...
>>
>> OTOH, there are some adverbs that are similarly formed, such as
>> {DoHa'} (unfortunately) and the pair {pIj} (frequently) and {pIjHa'}
>> (infrequently).

HQ 4.4:  Whether this {-Ha'} can be added to all adverbials is not clear. The notes taken while working with Maltz indicate that he balked at {vajHa'} ("not thus?") but accepted {Do'Ha'} "unfortunately". Information on other adverbials has not yet been uncovered, though it is probably in the notes somewhere.

>> So would {wejHa'} (or {wejbe'}) count as an acceptable neologism? It's

It might, but you can't be sure how it would be understood.  In my notes I discovered that someone has already (!) suggested *{wejHa'} for "yet, ever".  E.g.:

  ? wejHa' qa'vIn Datlhuth'a'
    Do you ever drink coffee?

  ? wejHa' qa'vIn Datlhuthpu''a'
    Have you ever drank coffee?

>> the kind of construction that might occur as slang, for instance.
>>
>>  {wejHa' qavIn vItlhutlhpu'} "I've already had coffee"
>>
>> Or is it a deeper reason to the lack of the word? It is a bit
>> superflous, perhaps {qavIn vitlhutlhpu'} would be more direct, and
>> thus more Klingon? Or, for that matter, {qen qavIn vItlhutlhpu'} (I
>> have recently had coffee) would be more precise?

We have one example of Okrand translating "already":

  bIHeghvIpchugh bIHeghpu'.
  If you are afraid to die, you have already died. (TKW)

Since the lack of a word for "already" didn't bother Okrand, I would just say:

  qa'vIn vItlhutlhpu'.  latlh vIneHbe'.
  I have [already] drank coffee.  I don't want another (one).

On the other hand, I do.  Time for my coffee break!

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level