tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 30 06:36:10 2010

Already

kff ([email protected])

Hi!

I recently tried to express that I did not want to drink coffee since
I'd already had coffee, but found no klingon word for "already". How
ever, there is {wej} for "not yet", so I thought that {wejHa'} might
work. But of course, I can't put a {-Ha'} after an adverb just as if
it had been a verb...

OTOH, there are some adverbs that are similarly formed, such as
{DoHa'} (unfortunately) and the pair {pIj} (frequently) and {pIjHa'}
(infrequently).

So would {wejHa'} (or {wejbe'}) count as an acceptable neologism? It's
the kind of construction that might occur as slang, for instance.

{wejHa' qavIn vItlhutlhpu'} "I've already had coffee"

Or is it a deeper reason to the lack of the word? It is a bit
superflous, perhaps {qavIn vitlhutlhpu'} would be more direct, and
thus more Klingon? Or, for that matter, {qen qavIn vItlhutlhpu'} (I
have recently had coffee) would be more precise?

Regards,

      /buSwI'