tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 26 06:22:14 2010

RE: Waste

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

naHQun:
>>> Would you have any problem referring to owls the same way as other
>>> animals?

Voragh:
>> I wouldn't.  But then all I really know about these nocturnal birds is
>> that they are regarded as a {maQmIgh} in many human cultures.
>>
>> BTW, for "owl" are you using {lIr} (called "a nocturnal bird" in HQ
>> 10.4)?  [PUN: "Edward Lear is famous for his poem 'The Owl and the
>> Pussycat', and is slightly less famous for his paintings of landscapes
>> --and of birds, particularly owls." (ghunchu'wI')]

lay'tel SIvten:
>Can you give the relevant reference to <lIr> in HQ 10.4?

All I have in my notes is:

{lIr}  "a nocturnal bird" (n.) (HQ 10.4:4)

It's from Okrand's list of known Klingon birds from his article on bird-related vocabulary in HolQeD 10.4 (pp. 4-5).  ghunchu'wI' explained the pun on the List:

   "Edward Lear is famous for his poem 'The Owl and the Pussycat',
    and is slightly less famous for his paintings of landscapes--
    and of birds, particularly owls."

Unfortunately, I neglected to record the date of ghunchu'wI's post.

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level