tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 03 07:48:44 2008

RE: RE: qepHom'a' SochDIch

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Quvar:
> this is the last call for the next upcoming qepHom'a' [sic] Number 7
> in Germany. Even Marc Okrand agreed to call this event a qepHom-'a'
> because it is way more than just a "minor meeting".

Voragh:
>> But somehow less than a {qep} "meeting"?  <g>

Quvar:
> Good remark!

I might have called it a {qepHom tIn/nIv} or a {qep'a' mach/QIv}.

> This originally started, because many people do not see these words in
> their literal sense. The word {qep'a'} is not only a "big meeting", is
> stands for the annual meeting of the KLI. Other meetings beside the qep'a'
> are called {qepHom}, and this word has grown popularity with the meaning
> "klingon language meeting which is not the {qep'a'}" (at least here in
> germany).
>
> The qepHom in Germany which I have been holding for more than ten years
> now really started as a "very small meeting", a real qepHom. Over the
> years it qept growing, and now we are going to have the seventh qepHom
> with about twenty participants over a whole weekend.
>
> People are used to call it "qepHom", although it is not a qep-"Hom" any
> more.

{qepHom'a'} is a perfect example of {pabHa'}:

KGT 176:  Sometimes words or phrases are coined for a specific occasion, intentionally violating grammatical rules in order to have an impact. Usually these are never heard again, though some gain currency and might as well be classified as slang. Klingon grammarians call such forms {mu'mey ru'} ("temporary words"). Sometimes, {mu'mey ru'} fill a void--that is, give voice to an idea for which there is no standard (or even slang) expression; sometimes, like slang, they are just more emphatic ways of expressing an idea. A common way to create these constructions is to bend the grammatical rules somewhat, violating the norm in a way that is so obvious that there is no question that it is being done intentionally. To do this is expressed in Klingon as {pabHa'} ("misfollow [the rules], follow [the rules] wrongly)".

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level