tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 25 12:31:43 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: nIHwI' (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> >    DanIH
> >    You steal it. KLS

lay'tel SIvten:
>The English translation sounds like an imperative with an emphatic subject.

We must speak different dialects.  To me it sounds like a perfectly kosher,
if somewhat odd, declarative sentence.  "Steal it!" would be the expected
(direct?) imperative.  "You'll steal it" might be understood as a sort of
"indirect" (?) or suggested imperative:  e.g. "No! *You'll* steal the cash;
*I'll* wait outside."

>Is there a context that goes with this phrase?

Nope.  IIRC the KLS page featured a list of simple conjugated verbs with
the translations read aloud by Okrand in an accompanying sound file.  I
pointed out the object only because Okrand might have translated {DanIH} as
"you steal him/her/them", but he opted for "you steal it"
instead.  Significant?  Perhaps.

Doq:
>>You steal stuff when you rob people. You don't steal people (except in
>>kidnapping when the people are being treated like property) or rob
>>stuff. You can steal stuff without robbing anybody. Robbery implies a
>>degree of personal contact; stealing through physical intimidation or
>>incapacitation.

And there's also {quch} "kidnap" - and even {jon} "capture" - to throw into
the mix.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons