tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 18 15:32:01 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: yIv (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>> >Homonyms:
>> >     yIv (verb) - chew
>>
>>Related verbs:
>>{chop} bite;  {ghup} swallow; {noS} nibble;  {roS} lick;  {Sop}
>>eat;  {waH}  taste

lay'tel SIvten:
>Three more verbs I include with these in my own list are {choptaH} (gnaw),
>{'ep} (consume soup),  and {wom} (peck).
>{choptaH} of course is a derivative of {chop}, but it has its own
>dictionary entry and gloss.

I thought about including {choptaH}, but felt it was just a
derivative.  Still, "gnaw" is the closest synonym to "chew" in the lexicon:

KGT 89:  Klingons typically gnaw ({choptaH}--literally, "continue biting")
on the nut until it cracks open, and then they spit out ({tlhIS}) the
pieces of shell (occasionally at a nearby diner, as a gesture of
sociability) before chewing and swallowing the rest. Similarly, they will
usually gnaw on the hard pit of some fruits ({naHnagh}--literally, "fruit
stone") until it can be chewed and swallowed, but it is not considered out
of place to treat the pit as a shell and spit out the pieces.

>Is there a reason for not including them in your list of related verbs above?

Nope.  I just didn't have them listed in the entry for {yIv}, but I'll add
them now.  Frankly, I'd forgotten about {'ep} and {wom}:

KGT 206:  For example, in both Klingon and Federation Standard, there is a
verb for "consume solid food" (eat, {Sop}) and another for "consume liquid"
(drink, {tlhutlh}). In Klingon, but not in Federation Standard, there is a
third verb in this set, {'ep}, which refers to consuming soup or, more
accurately, to consuming Klingon {chatlh}, which contains less liquid than
the typical Terran soup. (It should be noted that although the Federation
Standard verb "slurp" may well apply to how a Klingon consumes {chatlh}, it
is not an accurate translation of {'ep}, since it refers to eating and
drinking noisily, not to the consumption of soup in particular.)

KGT 99f.:  If the particular dish is somewhat soupy (a dish of this kind is
termed a {chatlh}, roughly translated as "soup", though the amount of
liquid is far less than what the Federation Standard term {soup} would
suggest), it will arrive at the table in a large bowl ({maHpIn}) and a
diner will pour [{qang}] its contents into a smaller bowl ({Duq}), from
which he or she will consume it. Since this sort of dish is still primarily
solid food as opposed to liquid, using the verb {tlhutlh} ("drink") to
describe ingesting it is not quite right. There is another verb, {'ep},
which refers to eating food of this kind.

[Presumably both {'ep} and {Sop} are appropriate for consuming {tlhIq}
"stew", depending on its consistency.]

{wom} "peck" (v.) (used for both eating and attacking by pecking [by birds]
HQ 10.4:5) Cf. n. {neb} "beak, bill"

Thanks for reminding me of these.  I don't claim my notes are
exhaustive.  That's one of the reasons I add the related vocabulary:  so
that others can add their own suggestions which I then use to improve my notes.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level