tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 13 08:00:09 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: yIv (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Thursday, March 13, 2008.
>
>Klingon word:   yIv
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     annoy, bother, irk, irritate (slang)

KGT 167:  This verb literally means "chew". In its slang sense, it is found
in such constructions as {choyIv} ("You bother me"--literally, "You chew
me") or {muyIv romuluS Ha'DIbaH} ("The Romulan dog irks me"; literally,
"The Romulan animal chews me", where "Romulan animal" is a derogatory way
to refer to a Romulan). The subject of {yIv} can be only a person or
creature, not an inanimate object or a situation. Thus, it is inappropriate
to say something like {muyIv 'Iw HIq bIr} ("cold bloodwine chews me").
Standard ways to express the same idea are {nuQ} ("annoy, bother") and
{berghmoH} ("irritate").

>Homonyms:
>     yIv (verb) - chew

Used in canon:

   DeSvetlh yIv
   Chew that arm! PK

   to'waQ yIv
   "chew ligament" (idiom) KGT

KGT 119:  This is an idiomatic way of saying "take some time to consider a
matter." The origins of the phrase are unknown, but the imagery makes
sense, since even with Klingon teeth, to chew ({yIv}) gummy ligament or
tendon ({to'waQ}) takes longer than to chew most other types of food. The
expression may be used as a command, as in {to'waQ yIyIv!} ("Chew
ligament!"--that is, "Take your time thinking about it!") or as a
statement, often with the verb suffix {-taH} ("continuous"), implying an
ongoing activity, as in {to'waQ vIyIvtaH} ("I'm chewing ligament"--that is,
"I'm in the process of taking my time considering the matter"). Though not
necessarily derogatory, it is frequently used with negative connotations:
{to'waQ yIyIvQo'; DaH yIwuq!} ("Don't chew ligament; decide now!") or {HoD
QaQbe' ghaH; reH to'waQ yIv} ("He/she is not a good captain").

Related verbs:

{chop} bite;  {ghup} swallow; {noS} nibble;  {roS} lick;  {Sop} eat;  {waH}
taste

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons