tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 25 06:05:36 2008

Re: idea for writing system

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On Jul 25, 2008, at 3:03 AM, Lawrence John Rogers wrote:

> nuqneH?!?

tlhIngan Hol wIjatlhqu' vIneH jay'.

> A while ago I had this idea for the Klingon Writing System.  The
> pdf file
> supplied by KLI under Writing Klingon shows a disconnect between
> the show's
> writing system and the language as-known.  The pdf article by Dr.
> Schoen
> implies that perhaps Klingon has more than an alphabetic set of
> characters.

The Klingon Dictionary tells us that those people who pronounce {b}
and {m} the same must remember the proper spelling of words.  This
implies that other people do not, and that the spelling in {pIqaD} is
phonetic.

wabmey 'oS Deghmey 'e' chup tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom.

> Anybody like the idea or have any scholarly, serious ideas for what
> where
> this writing system should head?

For my purposes, Klingon is a spoken language.  The writing system
used is merely a way to record and transmit speech.  We have one
absolutely official writing system that everyone here can use (the
Romanized transcription from TKD), we have one officially unusable
writing system (the symbols seen on television), and we have an
unofficial but popular blend of the two (using a collection of the TV
symbols to represent specific sounds).

tlhIngan Hol jatlhqu'nISlu'.  QIch qon pIqaD 'e' vIHarchu'.  naDev
TKD ghItlhmeH pat lo' Hoch.  Hov leng much pat lo'laHbe' vay'.  rut
pIqaDqoq lo'lu'.

Since you're the one proposing a new system, it's up to you to
determine its direction.

patlIj chu' DaSeHnIS SoH.

>   Something constructive instead of
> insulting or destructive this time would be appropriate,
> considering I'm on
> my way to learning the language and berating all my ideas just
> gives me (and
> everyone else who reads these posts) a bad, bad taste.

I propose that if you're merely "on your way to learning the
language", you are not yet in a position to suggest changes or
additions that will be taken seriously by those who have already
learned it well enough to converse with each other.

wej tlhIngan Hol DajatlhlaHchugh, DachoH wej 'e' Dabaj jay'.

My constructive suggestion is for you to study the language as we
know it, to learn to communicate using the established vocabulary and
grammar (and writing system), and only then to give serious thought
to reformations or supplements.

yIghoj.  yIQum.  ghIq choHmey tIqelchoH.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level