tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 25 07:07:43 2008

Re: Atlantean language

ghunchi'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Jul 25, 2008, at 2:11 AM, "Lawrence John Rogers" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I hope the qepmey goes well.

tlhetlhlI'.

> I look forward to getting my membership number
> and dictionary in the mail.  I hope it's enough to start the
> language.  Does
> anyone have any constructive suggestions for a learner?

yapbej tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom. TKD is definitely sufficient for a
beginner -- that's what *everyone* uses at first.

I believe the best way to start learning Klingon is to read as much
well-formed text as you can find. Qo'noS QonoS /QQ
might be a good thing to look at.

> I don't actually call my developments the same thing as the language
> he made
> up.  My first combination of his work and my additions is "New
> Atlantean".
> It's mostly sort-of compound words.  That's the one I've made the
> biggest so
> far.
>
> The other is "Historical Atlantean" which attempts to figure out his
> method
> and then reproduce it in the creation of new words.  Very time-
> consuming and
> since I'm not an Indo-Europeanist like David Solo (are any of you
> guys on
> Elfling?), I'd rather not devote large portions of my life to the
> endeavour.
> Plus, it just results in a language that's harder to learn and less
> canon-based (=less reference to the movie).

I'm confused. You're calling the method that emulates Okrand's work
"less canon-based" than the one you developed?

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level