tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 05 03:03:32 2008

Re: wutlhHaDI'baH jaj

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

At 10:12 PM Saturday 2/2/2008, naHQun wrote:

>wutlhHaDI'baH jaj botIvjaj!

We've seen *{wutlhHaDI'baH} on this list before, but now with the new
DeCandido vocabulary, maybe we can find a more Klingon equivalent.  We have
several options:

   {chuSwI'} - "A rodent that lives mostly underground and makes
   an annoying noise."

   {qorvIt} - korvit ["A rodent that eats through plants, commonly
   found on Klingon farms, where farmers have set traps for them."]

   {Quv'eq} - kuvrek ["An animal that prefers the shadows."]

And there's always the {Qa'Hom} "titmouse" [sic!] from KCD:

KCD:  A {Qa'Hom} is a small animal considered rather insignificant. The
word literally means "little {Qa'}."  A {Qa'} is a larger, more dangerous
animal.  A {Qa'Hom} is not a young {Qa'}, but it does bear a vague
resemblance to its namesake.

As portrayed in the Language Lab image, this animal bears no resemblance
whatever to the small Terran bird called a "titmouse" but looks more like a
small, four-footed rodent with a lot of hair, like a hedgehog.  The entry
on {Qa'Hom} is in the "Curses" section and the epithet can apparently be
applied to someone (or something) that may act like it's a vicious {Qa'}
but is, in fact, just a little, harmless creature, fluffing itself up to
make itself look bigger.  Calling someone a {Qa'Hom} obviously implies that
he is weak and unable to defend himself, and thus not worth killing.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level