tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 07 14:08:03 2008

Re: "Update"

Doq ([email protected])

It's becoming clear here that like many words in English, "update" is
about as vague as "love" and so is ill suited to have any single word
used "plug and play" in a translation. Maybe there's a reason it's not
in the Klingon dictionary. Maybe there is no Klingon word that is used
for all the things we use {update} for.

As is usual when this happens, you shouldn't append your personal
dictionary with any single word for update. Instead you should say
what you mean. If you are gossiping and asking for updates on the
state of your friend's mother's health or dating relationship or
whatever, {De' chu'} is perfectly appropriate. If you are upgrading to
a newer version of software that adds features, {rach} is fine. If you
are updating software for bug fixes and security patches,
{notlhHa'moH} is probably better. The same is likely true for updating
your dictionary, since if you let your dictionary miss out on too many
words {nom notlhchoH mu'ghomvam}.

Doq

On Aug 7, 2008, at 3:47 PM, Lieven Litaer wrote:

> I admit that I did not read any of your mails, but I always
> translate "update" with {De' chu'}, in the literal sense of "new
> information".
>
> Greetings,
>  Quvar
> aka
> Lieven.
> http://www.qephom.de
> --
> GMX startet ShortView.de. Hier findest Du Leute mit Deinen Interessen!
> Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/wasistshortview.php?mc=sv_ext_mf@gmx

Back to archive top level