tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 27 05:31:50 2008

Canonicity

Jonathan Webley ([email protected])

I get confused with all the different sources of canon. Is there a
definitive list somewhere?

I thought it might be useful to classify the canon, and this is a first
attempt. I would be grateful for any additions, amendments, etc.

Where would the Star Trek Encyclopaedia (STE?) fit? There are some
abbreviations that are commonly used which I don't know:

*	DS99, possibly Deep Space 9
*	ENT, possibly Star Trek: Enterprise

Level 0

Words, phrases or grammar that are not tlhIngan Hol. This class would
include klingonaase and words such as "gin'tak".

Sources:

*	TFR: The Final Reflection
*	etc

Level 1

Words, phrases or grammar that are devised by someone other than Okrand or
the KLI. Some phrases may be generally accepted as useful, but on the whole
the Klingon is not universally acknowledged.

Level 2

Words, phrases or grammar that were devised by the Klingon Language
Institute. Whilst it is acknowledged that the KLI does not have the power or
authority to devise new Klingon, any interpretations or usage are considered
useful additions to the language. This material could summarily be
overturned by Okrand. It is not accepted by everyone.

Sources:

*	The Klingon Hamlet
*	ghIlghameS / Gilgamesh.
*	The Grammarian's Desk
*	Much Ado About Nothing / paghmo' tIn mIS
*	jatmey
*	Qo'noS QonoS
*	KLI Friend of Maltz certificate

Level 3

Words, phrases or grammar that were indirectly devised or authorised by
Okrand. This includes novels where Okrand collaborated with the authors.
Material is generally accepted where typographical errors have been
corrected. Some purists will not accept this material as canon.

Sources:

*	DI: Diplomatic Implausibility
*	The Art of the Impossible
*	BH: Klingon Empire: A Burning House
*	other KRAD novels?
*	Sarek

Level 4

Words, phrases or grammar that were directly devised or authorised by
Okrand. This material, excluding the odd mistake, is accepted as canon by
everyone.

Sources:

*	BoP / KBOP: Klingon Bird of Prey poster
*	CK: Conversational Klingon
*	KGT: Klingon for the Galactic Traveler
*	PK; Power Klingon
*	TKD: The Klingon Dictionary
*	TKW: The Klingon Way
*	HQ: Articles in HolQeD written by Okrand
*	ST1 - ST10, with ST11 due: Words spoken in various Star Trek films
*	KLS: Former Paramount web site - Star Trek Continuum: Klingon
Linguistic Studies
*	SkyBox Trading Cards
*	Hallmark card (is there a image posted anywhere?)
*	KCD:
*	st.klingon
*	msn.onstage.startrek.expert.okrand
*	Radio Times article