tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 23 16:02:13 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: SanID (number)

On Apr 23, 2008, at 8:40 AM, Doq wrote:
> I would have thought that {cha' vatlh DIS
> ret} would mean "the time period encompassing the past 200 years",
> since {ret} is defined as "time period ago (past)".

I believe you're misinterpreting the meaning.  {ret} is just "time
period ago" (the word "past" is added commentary, not part of its
description in HolQeD).  It's exactly analogous to {ben} "years ago"
and {Hu'} "days ago", specifying a time rather than an interval.  It
just needs a time period word like {rep} or {Hogh} in front of it.

If you want to talk about a period of time, use {poH}.

Back to archive top level