tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 23 05:55:13 2008

Re: cha' Hol ngeb mu'ghommey Daj vItu'pu'!

Doq ([email protected])

The only point I'd make about the possibility of your argument being
irrelevant is that you assume that because "blackbird" is, in your
opinion, always pronounced differently by a native English speaker
than "black bird", that {paqpo'} would always be pronounced
differently than {paq po'} for a Klingon. That is the assumption you
make with no evidence to back it up.

You may be right. You may be wrong. We can't know, especially given
the fact that Christopher Lloyd is the only actor who has ever
pronounced his Klingon clearly and consistently, and within his
limited number of lines, we don't have any examples of compound nouns
pronounced both as such and as separate, but adjacent nouns, and
Okrand has made no description of this in any of his canon.

Doq

On Apr 23, 2008, at 12:07 AM, Sangqar wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>> You're using English for your example, whish is irrelevant in this
>> context to
>> Klingon.
>
> We'd better let Okrand that English examples can't be used to
> elucidate
> principles in Klingon!
>
> From TKD:
>
> ***
>
> Compound nouns consist of two or three nouns in a row, much like
> English
> earthworm (earth plus worm) or password (pass plus word). For example,
> jolpa' transportroom consists of jol transport beam plus pa' room.
>
> ***
>
> On a more serious note, I'm a little confused as to what context
> renders
> my example irrelevant. It can't be the fact that we're discussing
> compound nouns, since Okrand clearly used English compound nouns to
> demonstrate the Klingon principle. And it can't be the fact that we're
> discussing pronunciation, as the majority of examples Okrand uses to
> demonstrate Klingon pronunciation are English.
>
> I'm willing to consider that my example might be irrelevant, but so
> far
> I'm not convinced.

Back to archive top level