tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 22 21:04:32 2008

Re: cha' Hol ngeb mu'ghommey Daj vItu'pu'!

In a message dated 4/22/2008 22:50:21 PM Central Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> [email protected] wrote:
> > In a message dated 4/22/2008 21:44:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
> > [email protected] writes:
> >
> >> Second, I have to disagree with you about the pronunciation of compound
> >> words. To stick with the same English example, there is a very real
> >> difference between the pronunciations of "blackbird" and "black bird".
> >> Even when (native speaker) listeners aren't consciously paying attention
> >> to the pause, they CAN tell the difference. The blank space very much
> >> DOES change the way you say it. (At least, it does when both versions
> >> exist. "Ice cream" is spelled as two separate words but pronounced as
> >> though it were a single word - but no word spelled "icecream" exists.)
> >>

> > You're using English for your example, whish is irrelevant in this context
> > Klingon.
>
> Can you demonstrate that the same does not occur in Klingon? If not, it
> MIGHT work like that. In that case, one cannot definitively declare that
> there is no difference between compound nouns and genitive phrases. The
> English was merely used as an illustration.

Yes, it *might* work like English.  But there was no indication in the
original that English was being used as a model for how Klingon *may* work.
I took it to mean:  "English works this way, therefore Klingon does too."

lay'tel SIvten   </HTML>

Back to archive top level