tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 22 20:49:49 2008

Re: cha' Hol ngeb mu'ghommey Daj vItu'pu'!

[email protected] wrote:
> In a message dated 4/22/2008 21:44:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>
>> Second, I have to disagree with you about the pronunciation of compound
>> words. To stick with the same English example, there is a very real
>> difference between the pronunciations of "blackbird" and "black bird".
>> Even when (native speaker) listeners aren't consciously paying attention
>> to the pause, they CAN tell the difference. The blank space very much
>> DOES change the way you say it. (At least, it does when both versions
>> exist. "Ice cream" is spelled as two separate words but pronounced as
>> though it were a single word - but no word spelled "icecream" exists.)
>>

> You're using English for your example, whish is irrelevant in this context to
> Klingon.

Can you demonstrate that the same does not occur in Klingon? If not, it
MIGHT work like that. In that case, one cannot definitively declare that
there is no difference between compound nouns and genitive phrases. The
English was merely used as an illustration.

--
SuStel
Stardate 8309.8

Back to archive top level