tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 16 18:16:10 2008

Re: cha' Hol ngeb mu'ghommey Daj vItu'pu'!

In a message dated 4/16/2008 19:02:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 7:01 PM,  <[email protected]> wrote:
> >  Is there another word after "lingua dei"?  That just means "language of
> the".
> >   Something meaning "warriors".  "Guerrieri", perhaps?
>
> Latin has several words you could translate as "warrior" - Guerrieri
> isn't one of them.  Unless you count modern Italian as very, very late
> Latin. :)
>
> The most literal translation is probably "bellator" (-> lingua
> bellatoris).  No doubt that's what be'tor is short for. :)
>
> There's also "duelis" (-> lingua duelis), where we get "duel"; that
> one has a nice ring to it.
>
> In the sense of "professional soldier", the word was "miles" (->
> lingua militis), whence we get "military".  In Medieval Latin "miles"
> was used for "knight"...

Here's a more complete version of the email text from Voragh:

In a message dated 4/16/2008 13:36:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> During my work at the University of Chicago Library, I've stumbled upon two
> interesting illustrated dictionaries of artificial/imaginary languages
> which, inter alia, discuss Klingon:
>

> Paolo Albani and Berlinghiero Buonarroti's _Aga magèra difùra: dizionario
> delle lingue immaginarie_.  Bologna: Zanichelli, 1994.  ("Klingon, lingua
> dei" pp. 213-214.)
>
> Tim Conley and Stephen Cain's _Encyclopedia of Fictional and Fantastic
> Languages_.  Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 2006.  ("Klingonese" and the
> other languages of Star Trek pp. 169-173; article includes a fairly
> complete bibliography.)

The title "Dizionario delle lingue immaginarie" is in Italian, so I used
Italian words, not Latin.

lay'tel SIvten   </HTML>

Back to archive top level