tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 16 07:22:09 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: butlh (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Wednesday, April 16, 2008.
>
>Category: Body Parts

Not sure I'd call {butlh} a body part.  Are {quHvaj} "dandruff" and
{'atlhqam} "type of foot fungus" also considered body parts?  It's probably
a moot point as I suspect all three are mass nouns, not used in the plural.

>Klingon word:   butlh
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     dirt under fingernails

Used in canon:

   butlh DaHutlh
   You lack dirt under your fingernails. TKW

   butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'
   Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails. TKW

>Additional Notes:
>TKW p. 142.  {butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'} 'Admire the person with dit
>under his fingernails.'  "? In this expression it means something like
>'effrontery, impudence, brazenness.'"

Similar to the quality known as {qajunpaQ} *kajunpakt* ("courage, audacity,
recklessness").

Related nouns:

{nItlhpach} "fingernail".  Cf. also {lam} "dirt".

Related verbs:

{lam}  "be dirty"

--
Voragh