tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 30 15:20:54 2006

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for 2006/10/24

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>pm5 wrote:
> >Doqbot:  {qaS wanI' qab bInajvIS'a'?} (3)
> >Dogbert: "Bad dream?"

Da'vID:
>I don't think <-vIS> can occur without <-taH>, except in certain special
>phrases.  Also, the placement of <-'a'> looks odd to me.  The question
>pertains to whether or not something bad happened, not whether or not
>Dilbert is dreaming.  But it looks like Dogbert is asking, *"Something
>bad happened, was it while you were dreaming?"
>
>   <bInajtaHvIS qaS'a' wanI' qab?>
>
>I would suggest something more active, not merely "Did something bad
>occur?" but "Did you encounter something bad?"
>
>   <bInajtaHvIS ghu' Qob Daghom'a'?>

... referring back to our only example of dreaming about something:

   bInajtaHvIS qeylIS Daghomjaj!
   May you encounter Kahless in your dreams! PK

But there may be a simpler way to render Dogbert's question:

   bInajHa''a'?
   "Did you mis-dream?"

Granted we've never seen *{najHa'}, but it's plausible.  We've seen {naj}
with two other suffixes:  {yInajchu'} "Dream well!" (usually said to
children) and {najmoHwI'} "lullaby" (lit. "one [i.e. song] that causes one
to dream").

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons