tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 14 00:14:38 2006

Re: KLBC: Translating Dilbert Comic for 2006/10/13

pm5 ([email protected])

On 10/14/06, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
> Still thinking about the buzzword "reorg", I remembered {qa'meH}
> "replacement (permanent)":
>
>    The word {qa'meH}, clearly a shortened form of {quvqa'meH},
>    was originally used only in the construction of {qa'meH
>    vIttlhegh} ["replacement proverb"], but, though historically
>    two verb suffixes, it has become accepted as a noun in its
>    own right, meaning "replacement" in the sense of something
>    that takes over for or is used instead of something that is
>    gone or that has been lost. It is not used for a temporary
>    substitute or a stand-in; the word for that is {lIw}.
>    (HQ 5.1:10)
>
> Hmm... "something that takes over for or is used instead of something" -
> isn't that what a reorg eventually becomes:  the new way of doing
> things?  And {qa'meH} is also a shortened form, just as "reorg" is
> shortened from "reorganization" so it sounds like jargon.

I'm not sure how to use this word, but it does sound more like a jargon.

> > > Loud Howard:       "DON'T MAKE ME SHUSH YOU!"
> > > {Haw'arD chuSwI'}: {yIja'Qo'!}
>
> >I feel that {yIja'Qo'} is a poor substitute in spirit for "DON'T MAKE ME
> >SHUSH YOU!", but I
> >can't think of any easy replacement for it. ?{qatamnISmoH 'e' yIraDQo'}?
>
> "Don't force me to (need to) silence you".  Not bad, but drop {-nIS}; it's
> superfluous.  Even more simply, this would be:
>
>    qatammoH vIneHbe'
>    I don't want to shush ("silence") you

How about {yItamchoHbe'chugh vaj qaraD} "be quiet or I'll force you to"?  It
sounds more like a threatening to me.

pm5

Back to archive top level