tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 13 10:23:54 2006

Re: KLBC: Translating Dilbert Comic for 2006/10/13

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

You know, pm5, you show enough skill that you don't
need to label your posts KLBC anymore.  The point
of the Beginner's Grammatian is to avoid confusing
newbies (who sometimes have a pretty tenuous grasp
on grammar in general) with too many competing
opinions.  I haven't seen any grammatical errors in
any of your posts (except for the esoteric
{yItam'eghmoH}); my comments are mostly just my
opinions about how I'd word something.

So, I'll go ahead and comment on this one, but I
officially declare pm5 not a newbie anymore, and
anyone is free to comment on any post as soon
as it appears.

-- ter'eS BG

--- pm5 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Greetings Warriors:
>
> Thank you all for the corrections on yesterday's
> post.  This is
> becoming a good exercise, and it's fun, too.  So
> here are the
> dialogues in [today's comic][1], followed by my
> translation.  I tried
> to re-use the buzzword {chenqa'moHghach}.  Again
> corrections and
> advises are appreciated.
>
>     Loud Howard:       "THERE'S GOING TO BE A
> REORG!"
>     {Haw'arD chuSwI'}: {chenqa'moHghach tu'lu'!}

I understand {tu'} to refer to the existence of
a thing. I'm not sure an event can be {tu'}ed.
I'd go with {qaS chenqa'moHghach} "a reorg will
occur".

>     Loud Howard:       "I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO TELL
> ANYONE!"
>     {Haw'arD chuSwI'}: {Sa'ang 'e' mutuch!}

Are you aware that you are using the "prefix trick"
here? {Sa'ang} is literally "I reveal you".  The
prefix trick lets you use the original object referent
as an indirect object, turning {Sa'ang} into "I
reveal (it) _to_ you."  If you did this intentionally,
very good job. If it was an accident, keep that fact
to yourself 8+).

>     Asok:    "REORG?"
>     {'aSoq}: {chenqa'moHghach'a'?}
>
>              Loud Howard:       "DON'T MAKE ME SHUSH
> YOU!"
>     {Haw'arD chuSwI'}: {yIja'Qo'!}

I feel that {yIja'Qo'} is a poor substitute in
spirit for "DON'T MAKE ME SHUSH YOU!", but I
can't think of any easy replacement for it.
?{qatamnISmoH 'e' yIraDQo'}?

-- ter'es BG

Back to archive top level