tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 12 13:35:34 2006

Re: KLBC: Translating Dilbert Comic for 2006/10/12

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

pm5 <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Here are the dialogues in [today's comic][1], > followed by my
> > translation.  The only buzzword seems to be "reorg", > which I have
> > translated to {DIvI' chenqa'moHghach}, > "reconstruction of
> > organization".  Corrections and advises are > appreciated.

Also consider {buv} "classify" and its homophonous noun {buv}
"classification".  Our single example of either comes from the BoP poster:

   Hung buv rav:  patlh Hut
   classified level 9 and above (KBoP)
   (lit. "security classification's floor", i.e. "minimum security clearance"?)

{buv} may have more to do with secrecy than reorganizing/rearranging, but
that may well add an appropriate "Klingon feel" to your translation.

> >     "Loud Howard returns."
> >     {cheghpu' chuSwI'.}

ter'eS BG:
>This would actually be {cheghta'}, since he probably returned on purpose.

Or simply {chegh HOWARD} "Howard returns".

{cheghta'} "he has returned" seems a bit much here.  (BTW, to remember
{chegh} I've always imagine Gen. MacArthur declaiming for the cameras
{jIcheghta'} "I have returned!" as he wades onto Leyte's Red Beach after
several years of combat.)

>Also, you could transliterate the name, if you wanted: {Haw'orID chuS}.

Or *{Haw'arD} or even a gutteral *{ghaw'arD} (cf. Okrand's transliteration
of Jean-Luc Picard as {janluq pIqarD} on SkyBox S25.

BTW I like your rendering of "loud" as {chuSwI'} "loud one".  {HOWARD
chuSwI'} "Howard the Loud".  That's exactly the way I render epithets like
Peter the Great, William the Conqueror, etc.

> > Boss: "Loud Howard, I'm planning a reorg and I need you to ..."
> > pIn:  {chuSwI' DIvI' chenqa'moHghach vInabtaH 'ej ... }
>
>I think of a {DIvI'} as a government-level structure.

Inevitably (considering Star Trek's Federation), but not necessarily:

   Some additional information has come to light regarding words
   relating to groups or assemblies. Among those words already
   well-known for different types of groups are ... {DIvI'}
   "federation" or "organization" (also "association", "league",
   "union")...  (HQ 4.4:11 "Groups")

>I think you could use {malja'} 'business'.  I like {chenqa'moHghach}.

{nab} "plan" is good, but also consider {Hech} "intend":

   DIvI'vam vIbuvqa' 'e' vIHech.
   I intend to re-classify this organization.

> > Loud Howard: "A REORG?"
> > chuSwI':     {chenqa'moHghach!}
>
>As per our last discussion, this could possibly be {chenqa'moHghach'a'?}.

More options, again using {buv}:

   latlh buv?
   Another classification?

or the verb:

   Dabuvqa''a'?
   You're re-classifying it?  You're going to classify it again?

> > Boss: "... keep it to yourself."
> > pIn:  {'oHvaD yItamchoH.}
>
>"Be silent for the sake of it" isn't wrong, but it sounds to me. I'd use
>{De'vetlh yIpeghmoH} "Make this
>information secret".
>
>When you command someone to take on a quality, you have to use {-'eghmoH},
>so it should be {yItam'eghmoH} 'Cause yourself to be silent."  No reason
>for it, except that Okrand commanded thus once upon a time.

Other options:

   yItamtaH!
   Remain silent.  Keep silent.

   peghvam yI'angQo'!
   Don't reveal this secret!

For a more Klingon feel, quote a secrecy proverb instead (Howard should get
the hint):

   Hov ghajbe'bogh ram rur pegh ghajbe'bogh jaj
   A day without secrets is like a night without stars. TKW

Or, better, a shorter one:

   not mev peghmey
   Secrets never cease. PK

--